Home Depot is at it again! From Nov 3-13, 2011, you can trade in your old working or broken holiday lights and get a coupon to save $3-5 off LED holiday lights. Home Depot will then recycle those lights.
|Available at your local Home Depot Store – Nov 3 – Nov 13, 2011|
We have personally taken advantage of this program in previous years and are very glad to see it happening again this year. In 2010, Home Depot recycled 303,794 pounds of light strands. I hope they can do even more this year. Check out this great video from Home Depot about how they recycle the incandescent light strings.
|Clicking on the image will take you to the site with the video|
Here are a few facts about LED Holiday Lights from Home Depot:
LED Holiday string lights:
- Use 80% less energy than traditional incandescent holiday lights
- ENERGY STAR qualified
- Can last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent lights
- Cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire
- Do not have moving parts, filaments or glass, so they are much more durable and shock-resistant than other lights
- The amount of electricity consumed by just one 7-watt incandescent bulb could power 140 LEDs- enough to light two 24 foot strings
Now gather up those old Christmas lights and take them into Home Depot and replace them with energy efficient LED lights for this holiday season while the offer is still good. More details available from Home Depot.
Happy Greening (in the holiday sense)!
What is your favorite style or color of holiday lights? Leave a comment below to let us know.