What can I say, we love Programmable Thermostats! They are one of the easiest and most effective ways to save energy in your home. When people ask us, “What is the one thing I should do to save energy?” we tell them to install and program a programmable thermostat. Some thermostats even program themselves like the Nest Learning Thermostat.
If you live in Massachusetts or Rhode Island and heat with natural gas from National Grid, get $100 off the cost of a Nest Thermostat bringing the price down to $150. You could reasonably expect to save that on your heating and cooling bill in the fist year.
Many people find it difficult to program their thermostats either because their schedules vary a lot or because of the non-intuitive interfaces of many thermostats. Besides being elegant and cool, the Nest is a learning thermostat that can program itself based on your patterns.
Some other features that I love about the nest include:
- Remote control with iPhone or Android Smartphone
You can remotely and securely connect to the Nest Thermostat from any smartphone or web browser to check the temperature, humidity and tell it to cool down or warm up the place just in time for you to get home.
- Reports Energy Savings
The Nest Thermostat tracks your energy consumption and savings. It also tracks things like humidity and your schedule and has easy to understand reports of those items.
- Supports HeatPumps, Radiant Floor, Solar Heating and a bunch more. Check out their compatibility guide for more specifics.
- Built in level for easy installation.
Whether you want the iPhone of thermostats or would rather opt for programming a much more affordable one yourself, programmable thermostats are a must have for anyone that pays their heating and cooling bills.
Go over to EFI to see if you are eligible for other discounts on thermostats, LED light bulbs and more.
Instructions for getting $100 discount on Nest Thermostat
- Visit EFI.org (affiliate link)
- Find and click on your gas supplier in the Product Rebates section on the right-hand side about halfway down.
- Click on the picture of the nest thermostat or Wi-Fi Thermostats in the Items list on the left-hand of the page.
- Add 1 or 2 thermostats to your cart and complete your purchase. You will need your National Grid account number to complete the purchase and receive the discount. There is a limit of 2 thermostat rebates per customer per year. Shipping is extra and was about $12 last time I checked.
- Install your new thermostat and enjoy the savings and features.
p.s. We do not have a Nest Thermostat, yet. We just purchased two 7 day programmable thermostats to replace our older programmable 5+2 day thermostats this past winter through the MassSave discount. We won’t be eligible for the Nest deal for a while. Several of our friends have Nest Thermostats and love them.